Kidney Transplant in India
India has now become the most preferred destination for kidney or renal transplants. Not only the cost is low, the success rate of kidney transplant in India at best kidney transplant hospitals in India is at par with the world's best success rate for renal transplant.
The equipment and technology used at these hospitals is the most sophisticated technology available in the world, which results in better patient recovery, higher success rate, low cost and convenience. This makes these hospitals not only the best kidney transplant centers in India but among the best kidney transplant centers in the world.
The facilities at IndiCure associated best kidney transplant hospitals in India include:
- Ultra Modern Laminar Air Flow Operation Theatres designed as per international standards with central supply and laminar airflow, stainless steel cladding, on walls and epoxy coating on floor for electro static and infection free environment for Kidney Transplantation.
- Latest & Advanced Dialysis Machines from Baxter - (Nikkiso Baxter DBB 27), Fresenius - (4008 H), Bbraun (Dialog +) that performs different type of dialysis like CAPD, CRRT, SLED, Hemodialysis etc),
- Full range of Pathological services backed by world renowned hi tech investigative equipments for accurate & reliable results.
- Hi Tech Intensive Care Unit - Infection free, laminar flow, 10 channel monitoring system to monitor patients 24 hours.
- Round the clock attention of dedicated and experienced doctors and trained nurses.
Renal Transplant Teams and Hospitals associated with IndiCure:
- Our associate hospitals are considered to be the best hospitals in India for kidney transplant. They have a dedicated team of very senior surgeons for performing the renal transplant procedures. The team consists of physicians and surgeon specialists who perform the initial assessments and do the pre-transplant evaluation thereby ensuring that the patient is a good candidate for the procedure.
- The doctors and all the associated people educate the patient at all the levels and provide him with psychological support so that the patient has a smooth transition into the transplant and the following phases.
- Our hospitals feature state of the art equipment and facilities which are JCI or ISO accredited and we only work with board certified surgeons. This means that you will receive care which is recognised by international standards.
The renal transplant team basically comprises of:
- Renal Transplant Surgeon
- Transplant Physician (Nephrologist)
- Social Worker
Pre Transplant Evaluation:
On making it definitive that the patient needs a renal transplant, the transplant specialist gets certain tests done of the patient, to determine that the rest of the body is functioning optimally.
The extensive battery of tests helps the doctors in identifying potential problems that may occur later. These pre transplant tests include:
- Complete medical and surgical history
- Complete blood counts
- Chest X-ray
- Blood Typing
- PFT's or pulmonary function tests
- Tissue typing
- PRA ( Panel Reactive Antibody) test
- PAP smear
- And few others
The transplant procedure:
The kidney transplant procedure is done under general anesthesia. The surgeon makes an incision in the lower part of the abdominal cavity and the new kidney is placed near the groin region of the patient. The surgeons then connect the kidney to all the vessels and the bladder. A small drain, called a Jackson Pratt, is also placed into the abdominal cavity to drain any excess fluid.
Post Operative Care:
The patient is kept in ICU for 1-2 days after the surgery and in the transplant unit for another couple of days, before being discharged.
The new kidney generally stars functioning in 3-5 days in live donor kidneys and 7-15 days in cadaveric donations.
Regular monitoring of the blood levels is done for checking the proper functioning of the kidney. The patient is administered Immunosuppressant drugs for the first few days to avoid rejection of the new kidney by the body.
Outcome of kidney Transplant:
Kidney transplantation is a life-extending procedure. A patient who has accepted the organ well has chances of living up to ten to fifteen years longer with a kidney transplant than if kept on dialysis. The years of life gained are greater for younger patients.
The most important factor in kidney transplant procedure is the improvement in quality of life. People generally have more energy, a less restricted diet, and fewer complications with a kidney transplant than if they stay on conventional dialysis.
We at IndiCure, completely understand that Kidney transplantation is a family affair, since it is a matter of the life of your loved one. We strongly believe in involving the family members intricately in the care process, including decision making and follow-up lifestyle changes. The team involved in the transplant explains the kidney patients and their families in detail about what is happening. They are available 24 hours a day to answer emergency questions. The doctors and all the associated people educate the patient at all the levels and provide him with psychological support so that the patient has a smooth transition into the transplant and the following phases.
Why should you choose to get renal/Kidney Transplant in India
- Indian doctors are known all over the world for their skill and knowledge and have the experience of studying and working at the best kidney transplant hospitals in the world.
- Kidney Transplant Hospitals in India are now equipped with the latest and high end technology.
- Doctors, nurses and hospital staff are English speaking, and thus no language barrier. Translators are available, if you cannot speak or understand English.
- Hospitals in India are designed to provide complete patient care and care for the attendants- coffee lounges, money changers, travel desks, wi-fi zones etc.
- Best Medicines and drugs are produced in India and exported all over the world. The cost of thus best medicines and drugs in India is thus much less.
- Cost of renal/kidney transplant at best hospitals in India is very low as compared to kidney transplant at best hospitals in America or UK with the same level of care and services.
Frequently asked Questions about Kidney Transplant in India
How long is the waiting period for renal/kidney transplant surgery in India?
For a live donor, there is no waiting period at all for kidney transplant in India. IndiCure ensures that you get the admission and surgery at priority. While you prepare your trip for kidney transplant in India, we make sure that all appointments with the surgeon are fixed, surgery room booked, stay arrangements are done so that the procedure can be started immediately upon your arrival for kidney transplant surgery in India.
How many days do the patient and the donor will have to stay for kidney transplant operation in India?
The patient normally requires about One and a half months in India which includes pre transplant evaluation and preparation, kidney transplant surgery and recovery. The patient would stay at the hospital for two weeks which is a part of the surgical package and another three weeks in India to make sure recovery is optimal.
The donor is discharged from hospital after 4-5 days and allowed to go out his/her home country after another week stay in India. After going back to the home country he/she can lead a very normal life as it was before the liver donation.
How much does the kidney transplant cost in India?
The cost of kidney transplant in India is between $15,000 to $17,000 at best kidney transplant hospital in India which includes medical testing and evaluation of the donor and the patient, surgery, hospital stay in a private deluxe room, nursing, medicines, consumables, airport pick transfers and everything at the hospital.
Where would the patient stay after discharge from the hospital? How much would that cost?
Our association with various hotels, guest houses and serviced apartments in India allow us to offer you a variety and range of accommodation options according to your taste and budget. It can cost you between $50-150 per night depending upon your preference and budget.
What are the requirements for travelling for kidney transplant operation in India?
You need a medical visa to enter India, for which you need a passport valid for next six months. IndiCure shall send a letter to the Indian Consulate in your country which shall help you get medical visa on a priority basis.
How to begin to have renal/ kidney transplant in India?
You need to fill in the inquiry form along with your contact details. All medical reports of the patient need to be e-mailed at firstname.lastname@example.org. You need to have a live donor who should be a blood relative of the patient. The blood matching tests need to be done to see compatibility.
We shall guide you step by step for kidney transplant operation in India after you send us the inquiry form.
How can the payment be made? To whom?
The payment is to be made to the hospital directly and can be made in cash (major currencies like USD, pounds, euros etc are also accepted), traveler's cheques, credit cards or wire transfer.
How much does IndiCure charge for its services?
We do not charge anything from the patient for kidney transplant surgery in India. Our fees comes from the fees we charge the hospitals for marketing their services abroad.