Prostate Cancer Surgery in India
Prostate cancer is one of the most common types of cancer in men. Prostate cancer occurs when cells in the prostate gland grow out of control. It usually grows slowly and initially remains confined to the prostate gland. As the cancer grows, it may spread to the interior of the gland & then to tissues near the prostate like seminal vesicles and finally to distant parts of the body (e.g., bones, liver, lungs).
Symptoms of Prostate Cancer
The symptoms of Prostate cancer include:
- Problems in urinating like
- Blood in the urine or semen
- During the advanced or later stages when cancer has spread to distant organs, low back ache & pain or tenderness in bones, especially pelvic bones.
- PSA (Prostate Specific Antigen) levels The prostate secretes a protein named Prostate Specific Antigen, which helps in liquification of the semen and allows sperm cells to swim freely. In case when enlarged prostate or cancer is suspected, a lab checks the level of PSA in your blood sample. If a higher than normal level is found, it may be an indication of prostate infection, inflammation, enlargement or cancer.
- Digital Rectal Exam The examination involves the doctor inserting a lubricated, gloved finger into the rectum. The doctor would feel your prostate through the rectal wall. In case there are hard or lumpy areas, further tests are advised.
- The final & definitive diagnosis for prostate cancer are made by Prostate Biopsy & Transrectal Ultrasound.<
Once a final diagnosis for Prostate cancer is made, the staging of the cancer is done. The different tests that are done to decide the stage of cancer are:
There are 4 stages & Prostate cancer treatment is administered depending on what stage the patient is in.
Treatment Options for Prostate cancer:
The treatment for Prostate cancer is decided depending on the stage of Cancer.
The different treatment modalities include:
Prostate Cancer Surgery:
Surgery for prostate cancer involves removing the prostate gland, some surrounding tissue and a few lymph nodes.
Minimally invasive prostate Cancer surgery
Minimally invasive or Laparoscopic prostate cancer surgery is surgical procedure that removes the cancerous prostate gland and related structures. The surgeon uses a Laparoscope, which is a thin tube with a tiny camera to perform the surgery. Its a minimally invasive procedure where small incisions are made near the tumor site, and thin tools are used to remove the tumor and surrounding tissue.
The minimally invasive surgery enables surgeons to perform even the most complex and delicate procedures through tiny incisions with unmatched vision, precision, dexterity and control.
Radical Prostatectomy Surgery
Radical prostatectomy surgery involves removal of the whole prostate gland and the nearby lymph nodes. After the prostate gland is taken out through an incision, a catheter (a narrow rubber tube) is put in the bladder to carry urine out of the body until the area heals.
Cost of Prostate Cancer Surgery in India
Approximate Cost for Prostate Cancer Surgery in India at Best Hospitals in India
Prostate Cancer patient first needs a Complete Medical Evaluation to ascertain the type and extent of cancer.
- PSA (Prostate Specific Antigen) levels
- Digital Rectal Examination
- Prostate Biopsy
- Transrectal Ultrasound
The cost of the treatment is then decided depending on the stage & extent of tumor & the treatment modality required.